This book provides a wide and deep perspective on the ethical issues raised by pervasive information and communication technology (PICT) – small, powerful, and often inexpensive Internet-connected computing devices and systems. It describes complex and unfamiliar technologies and their implications, including the transformative potential of augmented reality, the power of location-linked information, and the uses of “big data,” and explains potential threats, including privacy invaded, security violated, and independence compromised, often through widespread and lucrative manipulation.
PICT is changing how we live, providing entertainment, useful tools, and life-saving systems. But the very smartphones that connect us to each other and to unlimited knowledge also provide a stream of data to systems that can be used for targeted advertising or police surveillance. Paradoxically, PICT expands our personal horizons while weaving a web that may ensnare whole communities.
Chapters describe particular cases of PICT gone wrong, but also highlight its general utility. Every chapter includes ethical analysis and guidance, both specific and general. Topics are as focused as the Stuxnet worm and as broad as the innumerable ways new technologies are transforming medical care.
Written for a broad audience and suitable for classes in emerging technologies, the book is an example of anticipatory ethics – “ethical analysis aimed at influencing the development of new technologies” (Deborah Johnson 2010).
The growth of PICT is outpacing the development of regulations and laws to protect individuals, organizations, and nations from unintended harm and malicious havoc. This book alerts users to some of the hazards of PICT; encourages designers, developers, and merchants of PICT to take seriously their ethical responsibilities – if only to “do no harm” – before their products go public; and introduces citizens and policy makers to challenges and opportunities that must not be ignored.
Tags: download, kenneth d. pimple, ebook, epub, emerging pervasive information and communication technologies (pict) (pict): ethical challenges, opportunities and safeguards (law, governance and technology series)
- Emerging Pervasive Information and Communication Technologies (PICT) (PICT): Ethical Challenges, Opportunities and Safeguards (Law, Governance and Technology Series) (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Current and Emerging Ethical Challenges in Evaluation (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Manuel d'Épictète (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Kana Pict-o-Graphix (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Emerging Technologies and Information Systems for the Knowledge Society (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Information and Communication Technologies (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Mobile Information Systems II (IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology) (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Information and Communication Technologies to Promote Social and Psychological Well-Being in the Air Force (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Social Dimensions Of Information And Communication Technology Policy (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Intermediate Gnvq Information And Communication Technology Options (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- TelE-Learning (IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology) (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Artificial Intelligence Applications and Innovations (IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology) (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- History of Nordic Computing (HiNC1), June 16-18, 2003, Trondheim, Norway (IFIP ... in Information and Communication Technology) (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Electronic Communication Techniques (Merrill's international series in electrical and electronics technology) (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Opportunities and Challenges of Bilingualism (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Emerging Needs and Opportunities for Human Factors Research (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Ethical Challenges for the War on Terrorism (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Emerging Technologies as a Basis for Healthcare Innovation (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Emerging Technologies in Facial Plastic Surgery (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Meeting the Ethical Challenges of Leadership (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Emerging Challenges for Security, Privacy and Trust (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Emerging Powers in Global Governance (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Taming Information Technology (Human Technology Interaction) (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Ethical Communication (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Ethical Issues in Interpersonal Communication (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Web Information Systems and Technologies (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Emerging Fields in Sol-Gel Science and Technology (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Information Technologies and Social Transformation (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Information Visualization, Third Edition (Interactive Technologies) (Kenneth D. Pimple)
- Conceptual Modeling for New Information Systems Technologies (Kenneth D. Pimple)
Download from partner sites
|emerging_pervasive_information_and_communication.epub||4.5 Mb||Download EPUB|
|emerging_pervasive_information_and_communication.zip||3.6 Mb||Download ZIP|
|emerging_pervasive_information_and_communication.torrent||0.18 Mb||Download from Torrent|